Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Healthcare Nightmare


I think insurance is basically big business. We pay insurance so the other person can get covered, pretty much.  Think about it.  I can pay $200+ a month, go to the doctor and pay a $20 co-pay for that service.  Now.  If I'm NOT sick, I still pay the $200+ per month.  If I have to go to the doctor, I pay the $20 co-pay....gee, look at what I have saved.  On the other hand, without insurance I am called a "self pay."  I go to the doctor and pay a discounted rate (because the doctor actually has a heart) of $57 for the office visit, if it is just a mere visit.  Minus the $200+ to the insurance company.

I know what you are thinking.  What about the extras?  I understand, big time.  Last year I got sick.  I had to have tons of lab tests (which I am still paying for), hospitalization in 4 different hospitals because I was a walking time bomb and didn't know it, was ill and didn't care if I lived or died.  Because I have no health insurance, I had to apply to every doctor's office, every hospital and healthcare facility, for aid.  Aid ranged from 35% to 88% given by these institutions.  Yes, it was more than what I would have paid if I had had health insurance.   But wouldn't it be better for people to have this than have to pay thousands of dollars every year to a large company who not only pockets your money, but dictates the options available to you ("oh, we won't pay for this because you didn't do that first") thereby killing you slowly while still pocketing your money????  I will be honest with you, I would rather do what I'm doing NOW than pay out those dollars to undeserving companies.  I did get restored to health, yes, I had to pay more, but it wasn't a government handout either.

No comments:

Post a Comment