Saturday, September 29, 2012

On being "fluffy"...

Everyone is trying to lose weight these days, including me.  Some of the best successes are through Weight Watchers.  Others include the South Beach Diet, the Atkins Diet, just to name a few.

The problem with these fad diets, you are trying to fix one malady and lo, and behold! Another surfaces due to the "fix."  So far, the best advice I ever got was "moderation in everything."  The concept was out there, oh--quite a few years ago under a diet fad called "The Weighdown Diet."  The woman that wrote the book claimed that all you had to do was follow your body signals, eat what your body wanted, but stop when full.  Do not eat when stressed or bored.  I had followed that pattern and lost 25 lbs in 6 months.  I analyzed in my brain every bite I took into my mouth and ended up with the following lifestyle:  after my early morning walk with a girlfriend we would have a single cup of coffee at her place (a foreigner, she had the best coffee ever), I would go home and meet my day and when the hunger pangs began, would have my juice and complementary medication that went with it (thyroid in my case, haha).  Showering and dressing, I would find that by 8 I needed a little something so would make a decision on exactly what my body was requiring at the moment, cereal or toast or eggs, then off to work I would go.  I discovered that I would get hungry by 11 for lunch, but my body was only really interested in that half sandwich (oh, and I'm sure I had coffee in there somewhere mid morning again).  I was hungry again around 3 so would start making dinner.  I would eat by 5.  If the family wasn't around, I'd hang out with them while they ate.  Dessert, if it happened at all, occurred around 7.  But I didn't give up anything.  I ate at McDonalds, their big Mac.  I didn't eat the fries.  Why?  I wasn't interested in the fries.  I had the coke, but it was DIET.  I have since given up aspartame, so any soda is rare indeed since it is made from corn syrup as opposed to sugar.  Hey, is any of it REALLY good for you?  The downfall on this diet came from  my gut telling me it was time to STOP.  I started having dry heaves because I was overanalyzing everything and not eating until I was so dead sure of what my body wanted that I wasn't eating at all.  How did I feel on this diet?  I felt GREAT.  So I would love to try it again, but without the negatives effects I experienced at the end.

The bottom line is "lifestyle" and change for the good.  All things in moderation so you don't end up binging (but also keeping it out of your cupboard is a good guideline to utilize).



No comments:

Post a Comment