Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The World of Maps and GPS

I gave my GPS to my daughter a couple of years ago.  I didn't like where she would take me.  Twists and turns and sidestreets.  She made me so nervous I just decided it wasn't worth it.  I use AAA maps and Google maps (my sister recently showed me how to change the maps, which is really really cool, but I find Google really knows what is best for me, haha).

I recently had to travel through Boston.  Okay, I didn't have to go through Boston, I just thought I'd see how smart I could be navigating through Boston.  I used Google maps and did a printout.

"Where?  Turn left onto...and right onto...go .02 mi. and ..." 

 And then I was lost.  Okay, we know Boston is set up like a wagon wheel, you have to turn around, because the next street will not get you back.  After playing around and seeing the scullers on the river a couple of times, I checked my smartphone for my girlfriend's email with the hotel phone #.  It read, "Google the phone number, I don't have it here."  Fortunately I had the address.  Hurray for the smartphone, the phone number was in blue (touch and it says, "call").  The conversation was as follows: "I'm lost in Boston." "Ma'am, we're not in Boston." "Yes, I realize that, that's why I'm calling you..."  With the patience of Job, he led me across the city ("turn left and head for signs that say 'downtown Boston' and look for 1N").

Home again?  I asked the desk clerk, "I90?"  
"Just follow the next right and its 95S, go until you find I90W."

If I go back to visit Massachusetts (oh, Walden Pond!) I'm going to use the desk clerk's directions instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment