Thursday, December 27, 2012

Unforgettable!

"As I was driving down the street, down the street, down the street..." comes to my mind as I reflect and anticipate writing this story....

On my way to my folks in Pennsylvania, I was listening to the radio to all the holiday music.  After 3 hours of the same songs (yes, there really is a limit), I popped in a CD and came across Nat King Cole and the duet his daughter "re-mastered" with them singing "Unforgettable."  My mind instantly went to my former piano teacher, Wendell, and his wife, Lori.  They had been performers for a number of years, and one of the songs they sang was this.  Along with the ticker tape in my brain, his phone number popped into my head, so I called to get permission to record for you this story, my version of the Wendell story.

I met Wendell in the early 1990's (I believe) when looking for a piano teacher as ours retired and moved to Florida.  I had no idea what a treat I was in for.  (a sideline here folks, I always wanted to take lessons, figured it would motivate the kids more if Mom took them too....)

Wendell has perfect pitch.  All he has to do is hear a song and he can repeat it.  He can rewrite music in different keys.  Yes, I took this in a music theory class, but what WOWED me was when he would say "this one has 6 flats, this is how it would sound in the key of ____" and then just sit down and play it...(need I say more?)  

Sometimes, when life was really getting me down in the dumps, I'd go to my lesson and, knowing I wasn't going to do well, would manage to sidetrack him and say, "show me how to play it again," and then I'd bask in listening to Wendell play it.  Not only would he play the version he'd write for me (with a pencil, btw, not a computer program), he would play also his version. (Another sidenote on this:  rather than use a book for me, he'd use music he'd write because "isn't it better to learn a technique while playing a song you enjoy?")  A couple of times I opened my eyes (yes it was that relaxing) and realized his eyes were closed as he was playing.  I think that's what impressed me the most.  He not only played it, you could tell he could feel it.  

I can still play Music Box Dancer "by heart."

Wendell (and Lori) are magical people.  They married and their horses were a part of the ceremony, which took place in their barn.  Their love of animals, and their love for each other, has helped them to choose to retire soon.  I wish them the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment