Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cookie Dough Diary

Reflection.  It's been a few years since I've done "Christmas cookies."  My definition of Christmas cookies happens to be "cookies only made around the holiday."  Rules are that they must only be eaten as of Christmas morning and thereafter (crazy, isn't it? Frenzied baking, but wait, they're for Christmas!)

Recipe.  I have left the baking to my son's fiance, cookie cutters and all.  But I decided that I'd make the date filled cookies.  The recipe I call Gram's, but its really in the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook (red and white plaid, unfortunately their new cookbook does not have the recipe).  A basic roll out sugar cookie (but equal parts of brown sugar/white sugar) used.  The filling is chopped dates with water and lemon juice and sugar, boiled.  Roll out and cut cookies, place date filling on a cookie, place another cutout on top, press sides together.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Run run as fast as you can...you can't catch me....Cookie Dough Diary:  we waited for our creator to roll us out.  Alas! She has given away all her cookie cutters to Angela.  So, she decided to take us to Pennsylvania and roll us out there, in her mom and dads' kitchen.  They decided that the rosettes were more important, but that's okay, I'm a patient cookie.  I traveled back home for baking.  Oh dear, still the dilemma of no cookie cutter (rats).  So off to Caleb's house we go, with full intention of being rolled, cut and baked after the gifts have been plundered.

Revealed.  Never got around to it, so Angela rolled, cut and baked later Christmas Day.  And they are delicious!  There are way too many here for one person, she was way too generous in bringing over "just a few," so the rest go in the freezer.  But here's a plateful: a plain cookie, but with that luscious treat inside that keeps us coming back for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment