Monday, January 14, 2013

De-Sensitizing America

There is a lot of discussion in all arenas regarding our current gun laws and the need for reform.  I think we need to take a strong look at lifestyle in and of itself.

Violence via games.  When was the last time you played a violent game?  How did you feel about the shoot 'em up?  I remember, quite a number of years ago now, being introduced to a computer game called "Road Rash."  I loved this game!  You raced motorcycles throughout scenery and if you won, you got money and could go on to the next level.  During races, you raced against several other motorcyclists (run by computer) and both of you would attempt to run the other off the road with kicking, chains, etc.  It was aggravating to get pushed over, it was victorious to watch them fly off their cycle.  I realized suddenly that I couldn't pick up my kids from school after playing that game, so had to limit my time to those days when they came home via school bus.  The behavior from the game influenced my ability to drive level headed.

Violence via television.  Criminal Minds.  This is one of my "absolute favorite" shows.  I don't want to miss an episode.  Macabre.  The good guys win (most of the time, but not before at least 1 or more die at the hands of someone insane, or mishandled in an earlier part of their life).  I am a middle aged woman.  Hopefully unlikely to act out.  I have middle school students that love to watch Criminal Minds.  How do you feel about that?

Violence via guns/weapons.  I support the 2nd Amendment and the right to bear arms.  But I do not support the right for people to use those arms for violent purposes like those in Sandy Hook Elementary and movie theatres and other places where innocent lives are the target of a person who has disconnected with the world.  We can watch bullying in schools, but that doesn't wipe away the problem.  We can have trained parents, psychologists, and medication for individuals that need it, but it is a concern of mine that these individuals have a bigger problem, bigger than what their parents (who love them dearly) can handle.

Food for thought, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment